What We Do
How can we help make you your best version of your professional self?
The Broom Center has some ideas.
Operating atop the mesa on the campus of San Diego State University, the Broom Center strives to make the public relations profession better by making you your best professional.
Under the umbrella of the Broom Initiative, the Broom Center rewards people in the public relations industry who show initiative. Programs in the Broom Initiative include:
- Research grants for public relations faculty, with 2 grants awarded in 2020 and 3 grants in 2021.
- Broom Student Fellows program opening doors for soon-to-be PR professionals ignited by their passion for PR.
- Black Mass Communication Scholar database.
- Broom Speakers Bureau is a list of pros from communities of color willing to guest lecture in classes around the nation.
- Sponsor the exam fee for Accreditation in Public Relations (APR) for public relations faculty.
- Grants for public relations students who earn the Certificate in Principles of Public Relations.
- Sponsoring student membership to the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) and new graduates' associate membership transitioning to Public Relations Society of America (PRSA).
- Professional development participation support for students and PR practitioners.
- 3P career tour series, whether a webinar or a bus tour we bring students right to the heart of the coolest PR jobs.
You can get involved in improving the practice of PR by supporting the Broom Center.