Vision and Mission
The School of Journalism & Media Studies envisions a global society where citizens are engaged in their communities; where media professionals are ethical and committed to diversity and inclusivity, and embrace technology to serve the public good; and where people from all backgrounds think critically about the media.
To prepare students for the society we envision for tomorrow, while modeling today the values of community engagement, ethical professionalism, diversity in a global world, critical reflection, and technology in service of the public good.
- Engage with the community
- Communicate ethically and professionally
- Understand global diversity
- Think and reflect critically
- Embrace technology to serve the public good
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
The School of Journalism & Media is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in all that we do. Our commitment is rooted in the belief that acknowledging and embracing a broad range of life experiences and perspectives strengthens our pledge to deliver excellence in teaching, research and learning. Our practices related to diversity, equity and inclusion benefit all those in the school -- faculty, staff and students alike -- as well as those alumni and the community with whom we engage. To that end, the school is committed to:
- Creating and maintaining an environment that promotes participation by all while demonstrating our responsibility to historically underrepresented groups.
- Fostering understanding of each other’s backgrounds and experiences.
- Practicing anti-racism, anti-discrimination and inclusivity in our teaching, research and activities.
- Cultivating mindfulness of the unconscious biases we all have and of the inequalities that can threaten progress within the school as well as acknowledging that diversity is an evolving concept that needs constant updating.
- Recruiting, hiring, promoting and retaining diverse faculty and staff.